HEY KIDS, THIS IS ADVERTISING
Cereal Box Aquarium
Get into the swim with this fun and creative craft.
- 1 empty PEBBLES cereal box
- A handful or two of Cocoa PEBBLES
- Construction paper
- Green pipe cleaners
- Google Eyes
- White string
- Turquoise (or any color you think looks like the ocean) paint
- Silver paint
- Craft of utility knife (let an adult do this part)
- Pen or pencil
- Optional: glue gun (to be used only by adults)
Here’s what to do:
1. Place the box flat on your workspace so that the back is facing up. Then use the pen or pencil and a ruler to draw a rectangle that leaves a one inch frame on all sides.
2. Have an adult use a craft knife to cut out the rectangle. Be careful not to cut the other side of the box.
3. Paint the inside of the box blue. When it dries, paint the outside of the box, including the frame, silver.
4. Decorate! Start with a layer of stones on the bottom of your aquarium. These may be too heavy for white school glue, so if you need to use a hot glue gun, ask an adult for help.
5. Using the white glue, decorate the back wall of the aquarium with Cocoa PEBBLES so that it looks like mounds of sand.
6. Cut the pipe cleaner into different lengths and clump them in bunches in each corner of the aquarium. Glue each bunch to the bottom of the aquarium. You can use shells to cover up the bottom of the pipe cleaners.
7. Glue shells in other parts of the aquarium. (These will also need a hot glue gun.)
8. Draw a some simple fish on construction paper. Then, using the scissors, cut out two or three fish.
9. Glue a googly eye onto each fish.
10. Measure 3 pieces of white string so they hang approximately halfway down the back of the aquarium. They should be slightly different lengths.
11. Tape each piece of string to the back of a fish.
12. Now tape the top of each string to the inside top of the aquarium/PEBBLES box.